Mar 24, 2014

DIY Dominoes Project

Image: Patent Pending Projects
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Of course we all know that Ferris Bueller quote but lets just take a look at the first part of the sentence.
Life moves pretty fast.

When I started this blog in 2011, I wrote 70 posts. In 2012, I wrote 54. Last year there was a meager 13 and so far, in 2014, if I manage to finish this one...it'll be a grand total of 3 and March is almost over.
Yes, life is moving pretty fast, with not much time for personal projects anymore like this blog - and even more so now, with a 3 and a half year old and a 10 week old puppy, who can be both found running around my ankles on a daily basis.

There's also that game we all have to play each day called 'Earning Money and Paying Bills'. A game we must unpack every morning, check that all the pieces are there, explain the rules to existing and new players before rolling the dice and either winning everything or losing it all. At the end of each day, we must pack every little card and token back into the box and put it away for the next morning when we get to play it all over again. Yipee!


So.....

.....now that I've 'elbowed' that metaphor into this post, I can get on with what I'm really here to talk about.

Games.

Now that my son is learning about team games and playing gently with the puppy - I think it's time he got to grips with the complexities of 'games with rules'.
Of course, one can easily be suckered into handing out big bucks and buying expensive 'themed versions' of old family favourites like 'Mickey Mouse Monopoly', 'Peppa Pig Pursuit' or even 'Toy Story Tiddlywinks' and lose sight of what's really important.

(Important note to self: need to check delivery date on that 'Superman Snakes and Ladders' game that I ordered on eBay - it's been 2 weeks!)

So, what is the cheaper - or even FREE alternative?

Well, how about Painted Stone Dominoes?
Image: Martha Stewart
Image: Happy Hooligans
Really, this is just the greatest idea ever.

First of all, you get to have a day out at the beach with the kids collecting stones.

Second, if it's a bit of a rainy day out - stay in doors and you can spend the afternoon painting the designs on the stones and you don't even have to stick to a traditional design.

Image: Love From Ginger
Image: Giochi Di Carta
You don't even have to stick with Dominoes!

Image: eighteen25
Third, you get to create your own game and it's all free.


This is all that I've been trying to say in 70 posts in 2011, 54 posts in 2012, 13 posts in 2014 and the same thing again in my third post this year.
We are always throwing away things that we think are useless. We use things up and fail to see that they could be transformed into something new but most of all, we disregard a lot of what the world offers us in favour of a conveniently, neatly packaged product - instead of wondering what we can do with the resources around us.

Which brings me back to the second part of that Ferris Buellers quote.

"If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."


.


 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to God and also to Dr. OBINA, the great herbal man that cured me from HERPES. I contacted the virus from my partner three years ago, i almost spent all i had because i was restless and i need to get rid of the virus and i did not rest until i saw people testimonies about Dr. OBINA recommendation online for how he has being curing HERPES with his herbs and i emailed him and tell him my problem and he prepare my cure and send it to me and gave me instructions on how to use the herbs and behold after i finish drinking it i went to the hospital for checkup and the result was negative and the virus was completely gone from my body. You can contact Dr. OBINA to get your herbs too and cure yourself from these virus. His Email: obinnaspelltemple@yahoo.com or add him on WhatsApp +19492293867 Dr. OBINA has cure so many different type of diseases with his herbs such as HERPES, HIV/AIDS. CANCER of all kinds, HSV 1&2, DIABETES and so many more. I want to thank God for using Dr. OBINA to cure me from herpes. Dr. OBINA is truly gifted by God. add him on WhatsApp +19492293867

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapy worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to aiming to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only looked like to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...